Happy Happy Happy New Year! The sun is shining, the weather is beautiful and we’re starting a brand new year filled with new challenges, surprises and possibilities. Bring it on 2017, we’re ready for you!
This year, I’m trying really hard to make smart, realistic resolutions. If there is anything I’ve learned from the past, it’s that a “whole new me” doesn’t just start as soon as the clock strikes midnight. I always say “I’m going to eat better!” “I’m going to lose some weight!” “I’m going to work out every day!” But let’s be real. I’ve already eaten a cookie today. So instead, I’m working on making resolutions that might be a little bit more attainable.
This year I’m going to…
- Try not to worry so much. I’m a worrier. I worry about everything whether it’s something I can control or not. And then, I get anxiety attacks and it just is no fun what so ever. Worrying about the future is my greatest weakness. And I don’t like it. So 2017 is my year to let the worries slide by. I think it will help me smile a little more, and feel a little bit better.
- Eat better. Trev and I do a GREAT job of shopping the perimeter of the grocery store. BUT we do a terrible job following through with eating it all. So this year, I’m going to force myself to eat something “green” with every meal and not eat so many boxes of mac and cheese.
- Be more present. In the words of the great Bruno Mars, “Put your phone down, let’s get it. Forget your Instagram and your Twitter.” No. I’m not going to stop trolling my favorite social media platforms, but I am going to stop worrying about what everyone is doing on them. I’m going to stop comparing myself to what is happening on social media all the time, and be happy with the people I’m with. It’s time for me to live in the moment, and not compare my “now” to someone else’s.
- Take better care of my skin. My mom has drilled into my head since I was small that I need to moisturize morning and night. And I get lazy and don’t do it. So I’m going to make a conscious effort to break out that moisturizer, because I know my skin will thank me in 20 more years.
- Stick to my workouts. A classic resolution I know. But I really do want to make working out a habit. There are so many workouts I enjoy doing on YouTube (here’s lookin’ at you Cassey Ho and The Fitness Marshall!) that I know will boost my spirits and help make a long day end on a happier note. Plus, the benefits of an active lifestyle are just too good to ignore now that I’m getting to be an old lady!
- Don’t be so hard on myself. Life is hard. Being a grown up is hard. I don’t have it all together all the time, and I shouldn’t have to. I beat myself up over things that I can’t control, and I’m going to do less of that. Sometimes I mess up, and I’m going to tell myself that’s okay too. I know at the end of our road, we’ll look back and see that all the hard times lead us to places we could have never dreamed of, and they will be so worth it. Everything happens for a reason, and I’ve got this more under control than I think I do.
What are your New Years Resolutions? I’m off to a good start on mine! So far today I’ve worked out, ate some peppers, moisturized my face and left my phone in the other room. I’ve totally got this 🙂
I’m off to work on a super fun DIY project! Don’t worry, I’m taking pictures of the process and will be sharing it with you later on.
Have a wonderful first day of 2017!