Alright guys. We gotta talk about something before we can move on to today’s Travel Tuesday post. If you’re reading this blog, there’s a 50/50 chance we’re a lot alike. And if we’re a lot a like, that means you probably love Reality TV as much as I do. Especially The Bachelor. I know what you’re thinking… this isn’t about what’s going on with Bachelor In Paradise right now. (All I’m going to say is that I’m totally disappointed that Season 4 seems to be canceled. But, they wouldn’t have shut it down if something very serious didn’t happen. So I’m just going to keep everyone involved in my thoughts and prayers and hope for the best possible outcome for all of them.) What this is about is my new favorite podcast! If you love The Bachelor as much as I do, you HAVE to listen to the new Almost Famous Podcast with Ben and Ashley I. Y’all… I legit laugh out loud through most parts of it. They’re fantastic, and you should totally check them out! Find their podcast here.
Now that I’ve got that out of the way… let’s get to the real reason your here! Welcome back to Vacation Planning 101 friends! Today, we’re starting with the basics. You’ve decided you want to take a trip… now what? How do you choose your next destination?
Whether you’re looking for the next spot to take the family, an epic adventure with your significant other, or a perfect trip with your very best friends, I always have the same process in choosing my next travel destination.
First things first. Ask Questions. Asking yourself questions will drastically help narrow down your options. So, before you can even begin to pick a destination think about…
- Who am I traveling with? Heading out on a solo adventure? Chances are, you’ll probably choose a completely different location than you would if your four year old was tagging along.
- Beach, Mountains, City, Countryside? Think about the things that come with each type of vacation. Beach tends to lead itself towards relaxation. Mountains and adventure are usually pretty synonymous.
- Hot or Cold? Choosing Hot or Cold eliminates half of your choices.
- Relaxation or Adventure? Again… you won’t choose a 10 day hike on the Inca Trail if you’re looking for a place to relax.
- Domestic or International? Need I say more?
- Luxury or Budget Friendly? Or maybe someplace in between.
- Off the beaten path or Tried and True? Are you looking for a destination no one has heard of? Or one that you’ve seen all your friends visit and you’re dying to see too?
- Road Trip or Nah? A road trip isn’t for everyone. But for those that are up for the ultimate American adventure, choosing a road trip makes planning a whole lot easier.
Now the hard part… Choose 5. Use the questions above to help narrow down some choices. Try to Narrow them down to 3-5 choices. Why so many you might ask? Sometimes, your number one choice just may not be possible. For example, maybe you’re trying to take a summer vacation but want to go skiing without leaving the country. Chances are… that trip just isn’t going to work out. Make a list of your Top 3-5 locations and write them down. Then…
Check out Instagram and Pinterest. Okay…. this may seem strange to some of you, but I’m telling your right now, 95% of my location decisions happen because of Instagram and Pinterest. I’m all about finding photo ops that make your jaw drop. I like to look at a few locations on both Instagram and Pinterest and find the ones that are most awe-inspiring to me. The ones that leave my mouth hanging open, are usually the places that I find myself longing to visit. (Here’s to lookin’ at you, Banff.) I’m telling you right now, this will narrow your list down instantly.
Now, your list should be awfully short. For me, there is one final deciding factor.
Consider the Weather. You shouldn’t let the weather dictate your choice necessarily… but you do need to consider it as the weather will heavily play a part in your daily activities while there. If you’re planning a 4 day trip to Florida to lay on the beach, you might not want to plan it during hurricane season. Be sure to check the weather for the time of year you’re planning on going. If it’s not usually the best, and you’re planning on a lot of outdoor adventures, you may want to choose a different time of year to visit, or a different location.
And BOOM. Your list should be down to the one, most perfect location for your next destination.
Still completely unsure? Check out Jauntaroo. Think of it as a dating website… for vacations. You pick the things you’re looking for, your airport and your budget and BOOM pages and pages of results for your perfect location. (No… this is not sponsored. I just think this website is really, really cool!)
Where are you heading on your next vacation? Unfortunately, we’re not going anywhere this summer :(. So I’m hoping to live vicariously through your vacations!
It is freakin’ hot for the 3rd straight day in Metro Detroit. I’m off to hydrate and try to cool down before working the Tiger’s game tonight. Wish me luck!