Hey there loves! I’m super excited about today’s post, because y’all know I love to save a little money when I can and I’m all about finding a good dupe for a high end product! Plu
Today, I’m putting two face masks I love head to head in a knock out battle for Best Face Mask… or at least just as good as the other face mask.
Okay. Too dramatic. I know. But I really do love both of these face masks, and everyone keeps saying they are dupes for each other! So I figured, I have them both sitting on my vanity, I might as well test them out for all of you.
LET’S GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEEE.
In corner one, we’ve got the ever famous, ever loved, GlamGlow Super Mud Mask. It’s biggest claims?
The SUPERMUD® Clearing Treatment was developed to address common skin concerns, which include blemishes, redness, scars, razor bumps, and in-grown hair. The potent mud formula supports skin’s natural oil balance, while a proprietary blend of six acids (glycolic acid, salicylic acid, lactic acid, mandelic acid, pyruvic acid, and tartaric acid) works to help minimize pores and create clearer skin. Activated-X charcoal lifts away dirt and other skin congestions, resulting in a refined, healthy-looking complexion.
Andddd in corner two we’ve got a drug store “dupe”, the L’Oreal Pure Clay Mask Detox & Brighten. It’s promises?
Indulgent. Transformative. Perfectly Clean. L’Oréal Paris Skin Experts have created a super-charged pure clay mask with the power of Charcoal to detoxify and illuminate your skin in just 10 minutes. Our indulgent and powerful formula provides a luxurious experience while potent pure clays and charcoal act like a magnet to draw-out and capture deep impurities (such as dirt, oil, and pollution). This creamy, non-drying formula leaves skin feeling clean, velvety, and rebalanced. Detox and Brighten Pure-Clay Mask addresses your dull, tired skin to reveal a purified, even, and radiant complexion. Immediately, skin looks brighter with a healthy glow. Dirt, dust and pollution are perfectly removed from skin. Skin is perfectly clean and clear. Use After Use, Skin is clean as if detoxified. Skin feels as though it can breathe better. Skin is healthy looking and more beautiful.
- The Tingling Feeling.
- The Tightening Feeling.
- That You Can See the Gunk.
- You Use Less Product.
- That it makes your skin SO SOFT.
What I Love About L’Oreal
- The Price
- That You Can Get It Anywhere.
- The Smell. (I personally prefer it to GlamGlow.)
- That it makes your skin feel soft.
- That it makes you skin feel really clean.
Let’s get to comparing, shall we?! I’ve decided to COMPLETELY embarrass myself by posting pictures without makeup/looking like a swamp monster for all of you. But ya know, #DoItForTheBlog.
With a fresh face, I always apply my masks with a brush. I just feel like it’s more sanitary than using my fingers, and I’m not wasting as much product because it’s more precise. This is totally a personal opinion! I’m just using a cheap foundation brush I picked up at Ulta forever ago. (I never liked it for foundation because it left a black streak wherever I swiped it, no matter how many times I cleaned it! It works great for face masks tho! Find a similar one here.)
I’ve never worn these masks together before! I’ve got the L’Oreal on the left, and GlamGlow on the right.
Here are the differences I noticed immediately when putting them on side by side.
- The Texture. These two masks feel very different for both being clay masks. The L’Oreal Mask is a lot thicker than the GlamGlow and is very smooth. The GlamGlow mask has actual chunks of charcoal in it.
- The Application. They both apply super easily and smoothly. However, you need more of the L’Oreal mask. It doesn’t cover as well as the GlamGlow.
- The Smell. These have totally different smells! The GlamGlow smells almost “minty” while the L’Oreal smells more “earthy”. I personally prefer the smell of the L’Oreal mask, however I know I’m in the minority here! Most people love how the GlamGlow masks smell.
- The Feeling. GlamGlow almost “stings” your face. Not so that it hurts, but so that you feel like it’s working. You know that feeling when you wash your face with a minty soap it feels kind of tingly? That’s what the GlamGlow mask feels like. It actually feels like it’s sucking gunk from your pores. The L’Oreal doesn’t feel like that. In fact, it doesn’t feel like anything.
- The Wetness. The L’Oreal mask is a lot “wetter” than the GlamGlow mask. It takes a lot longer to dry. You need to leave it on a solid 15 minutes before it begins to dry. Where GlamGlow is usually almost completely dry aft 5-10. Speaking of…
- The Time. Both masks recommend a different amount of time. The GlamGlow recommends 5-20 minutes, where the L’Oreal recommends only 10-15. I however, would leave the GlamGlow on less time and the L’Oreal on a a little longer. I keep GlamGlow on for about 10 minutes (I find any longer my skin ends up getting a bit irritated) and the L’Oreal at least 15 because otherwise it isn’t dry all the way.
- The Tightness. The GlamGlow mask is very, very, very tight. The L’Oreal mask it MUCH more breathable. If you’ve done other clay masks, you’ll probably agree with me in that the L’Oreal mask doesn’t feel like a typical clay mask, where the GlamGlow does.
So how does it work? Let’s get up close and personal!
The GlamGlow Side (Right): My face was SO TIGHT. Like I couldn’t even move it. You can see the gunk it pulled out of my pores (ew!), and there was a lot of it! (This picture doesn’t really do it justice. When I do my full face in GlamGlow the amount of crap on my face is disgusting!)
The L’Oreal Side (Left): My face was tight, but could still move around a bit. It didn’t dry as evenly as the GlamGlow, and it didn’t pull out quite as much in my pores. One thing I don’t love about this mask is that it cracks on my face as it dries. I’m not sure if that’s because I talk too much and therefore move my face a lot, or if it’s just the formula.
Next, it was time to rinse it off.
Right away, I noticed the L’Oreal mask turns back to it’s liquid state, and it’s kind of hard to get off! (I noticed this before too. When I use this mask, I usually do it right before I shower so I can get it all off without making a massive mess on our bathroom sink!) Once it was off, my skin felt really clean. My pores weren’t “smaller”, but they did look cleaner. (Does that even make sense?) My skin also felt really soft!
Next was the GlamGlow side, and this one doesn’t go back to a liquid state. It almost exfoliates your skin as you rub it off. I noticed that my pores appeared smaller, but the difference wasn’t massive. It also felt really clean! However, this one is a bit harsher on my skin and leaves it slightly red when removed. My skin looked like I just left the spa and got a killer facial.
The moral of the story? I think both these masks are great… and they both work, but they aren’t dupes. If I had to explain it, I feel like the L’Oreal mask is a less abrasive, softer version of the GlamGlow mask… and if you have dry or sensitive skin I think you’ll prefer L’Oreal. If you’re basically a walking deep fryer like me, you’ll love the gunk GlamGlow gets out of your face. Where the L’Oreal mask is more comfortable to wear, the GlamGlow mask gives slightly better results. If I had to pick one “winner” I’d say GlamGlow. But only because of the gunk it pulls out of my face. HOWEVER, I buy L’Oreal a lot more. (Like I’ve already gone through 3 jars.) Because let’s be real… one mask costs $9, and the other costs $70. And that means I have $61 extra to spend on pizza. So who’s the real winner here? 🙂
So what do you think? Have your tried both of these masks? Which do you prefer?
Alright guys. I’m off for what’s sure to be a wonderful weekend! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend too! I’ll be back late Sunday night for a Weekend Round Up.