Happy Thursday my loves! OMG. I HAVE to tell you how I wrote this post… with a pen and paper! LOL I try to always have my posts done ad ready to go the night or two before, but this week has completely gotten away from me (Like, my lesson plans are due tomorrow and I haven’t even started them yet because I legit thought it was still Tuesday for awhile.) and I had no Wifi (thanks to the storm) to work on typing this on my break. So I sat with a good old pen and paper in the park! Can you say hand cramp?!
But, the sun is shining, it’s above 32 degrees for the first time in what feels like ages, and I’ve got that Spring feeling. You know the one I’m talking about… when all the windows need to be open in your house, you can never be outside enough, suddenly, everything around you feels cluttered so you need to clean everything ASAP anddddd everything needs to smell like lemons.
It’s officially THAT time of the year again, when I start to Spring Clean everything I own. And the first thing I turn to clean every year? My closet.
Every Spring, finding an outfit in the morning begins to feel more like digging through a basement on an episode of Hoarders than my closet. All the big, bulky, dark things are laying around, the clothes that I haven’t seen in YEARS are suddenly popping up out of no where and for some reason, I literally have NOTHING to wear.
So I follow the old Springtime addage, “Out with the Old, In with the New” before shopping for a few new pieces for Spring.
Cleaning out your closest can be a TASK. But luckily, I’ve done it so many times now, I’ve got it down to a science! With a few hours, a great Netflix show and my 5 easy steps, your closet will be lookin’ as fresh as the daisies poppin’ up outside!
5 Easy Steps for Spring Cleaning Your Closet + 7 Questions to Make You Decisions a Whole Lot Easier
Take EVERYTHING Out. And I mean EVERYTHING. From your sweaters up above to your dresses on hangers right down to your undies in your underwear drawer. Take everything out and make one big pile.
Separate Your 1 Big Pile into 4 Smaller Piles. (Keep, Donate, Throw Away, Still Not Sure.) If you know by looking at it you still love it, Keep It! If you know you haven’t worn it in ages, Donate It! If it’s covered in holes and stains that can’t be fixed, toss it. These easy decisions will go really quick! But also keep a pile for those items your still not sure about. Don’t waste your time trying to decide what to do with them initially, get the easy stuff out of the way first! Once everything is in piles…
Go Through Your “Still Not Sure” pile. Once you’ve made the easy Keep/Donate/Toss decisions, go back to the pile your on the fence about. Grab each piece of clothing individually and evaluate it using these 7 Questions…
- Does it still fit? If not, don’t keep it.
- Have I worn it in the past 6-12 months? No? It belongs in someone else’s closet, not yours.
- Is it sentimental? Don’t get rid of it. You’ll regret it.
- What can I wear it for again? / Will I wear it again? Be realistic. Don’t say “Welllll I could wear that in two years when it comes back in style.” If you can’t think of a specific time/event to wear it again, donate it.
- Is it damaged? And no, the holes in your jeans don’t count. If it’s something that you can fix, and you still really like the garment, keep it! If not, throw it away. Don’t try to donate something with holes.
- Is it still in style? Or at least still your style? If not, let it go.
- If I was shopping, would I buy this again? This one is my FAVORITE rule. If you can’t see yourself purchasing it in a store rn, you probably shouldn’t keep it. This one ALWAYS helps me on my “tough” decisions!
Organize What’s Left. Once you’ve completed all your sorting, organize what’s left! Put your winter clothes away, bring hang everything just how you like it, designate drawers to help you find your clothes easier and rest easy knowing that your closet is ready for Spring!
How do you Spring Clean your closet?!
Looking for more Spring Cleaning tips? Be sure to come back NEXT Thursday for another Lazy Girl’s Guide to Spring Cleaning! (Or subscribe to have my posts delivered to your inbox!)
Alright my friends. This whirlwind of a week is almost over, and I’m ready for F-R-I-D-A-Y! How about you?
Have a great weekend everyone! I’ll be back Sunday with a Weekend Round Up!