Hi Friends! Happy Tuesday! I’m keeping today’s post short and sweet because I’ve heard that people don’t like to hear your life story when they click on a post specifically for the recipe.
SO today, all I’m going to say is that I don’t like Chicken Pot Pie. I never have… I’m not a fan of gravy and I don’t like when my stuff gets soggy. But my dad’s pot pie is SO FREAKIN’ YUMMY and the perfect thing to bake while it’s cold and snowy outside. (We’re getting hit with a big snow storm tonight. Ew.) So you know it must be good when your girl says it’s yummy 🙂
Plus it’s super simple to put together! Ready to get baking?!
(PS… that’s the shortest recipe intro I’ve ever done. Patting myself on the back.)
The Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Ever!
Shopping List For the Pie Crust
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 1/2 Cup Lard (This is my great grandma’s crust recipe! If you don’t want to use real lard, Crisco should do the trick!)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Vinegar
- 5 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Egg
Shopping List For The Insides
- 1 Pound Rotisserie Chicken, Shredded
- 2 Tablespoons Rotisserie Chicken Spice (Did you even know this was a thing? I was today years old when I learned about this. HA)
- 2 Carrots, Thinly Sliced
- 2 Celery Stalks, Thinly Sliced
- 2 Cups of Cooked Potatoes Cubed
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 3-4 Cups of Chicken Stock
- Frozen Peas (Optional! No one in my family likes peas so we never put them in haha)
Begin by pre-making your crust! Be forwarned… this recipe is enough for four or five pot pies! We wrap in plastic wrap and put it in a freezer bag. It will keep in the freezer for month! To make the crust…
- Combine Flour and Salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in your lard.
- Mix vinegar, water and egg in a separate bowl. Once combined, add to your flour mixture.
- When all ingredients are combined, flour your surface and roll out to desired thickness. You can make it as thick or as thin as you’d like, but I’d say no thicker than 1/4 inch!
- From here, you can cut into pieces to store, or simply roll whatever you aren’t using into a big ball to store for next time! Whatever you do, just be sure to set some aside for your pot pie!
Now, it’s time to put together your pot pie!
- In a cast iron skillet or Dutch oven, saute carrots and celery in butter for 2-3 minutes.
- Add flour, stir constantly until it starts to brown.
- Pour in chicken stock while stirring constantly.
- Next, add in your chicken and potatoes! (You may need to pre-shred it if you haven’t found it already shredded! Make sure you add your spice before adding it to your skillet!)
- If you must add peas (again, ew) do it now.
- Remove from heat.
- Roll out enough pie crust dough to cover the top of your skillet.
- Place pie crust over your mixture. Roll the edges of the pie crust into the pan to create a crust against the inside of the skillet.
- Cut 4 or 5 vents in top of the crust.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown!
And that’s it! The most delicious, home made, dinner for your week nights! We can also confirm… it makes the yummiest left overs 🙂
So what do you think? Will you try making my Dad’s Chicken Pot Pie?! If you do let me know how you like it!
Alright my loves, I’ve had the world’s longest day. I’m ready to snuggle in and catch up on last night’s episode of The Bachelor!!
I’ll be back tomorrow… that is if I don’t land in a snowbank somewhere 🙂