Happy Thursday Loves! Who else is completely stoked for the long weekend ahead of us?! Memorial Day Weekend is always the sign that Summer has officially arrived in Northern Michigan. And with it comes beach walks, bonfires and BBQs.
Memorial Day Weekend is usually always really really busy in my family. It’s my Grandpa’s birthday, all the local graduations happen within three days of each other (which also means graduation parties are inevitable) and everyone is prepping for the end of the school year.
But this year? Memorial Day looks very, very different. While my hometown is technically in the section of our state that is “reopen” we live in a part of the state where COVID is still a big issue. So Trev and I decided that is was best for us not to head Up North for the long weekend. Which was the hardest decision… this is the first time in 30 years that I’m not starting our summer in my most favorite place.
So, we’re going to attempt to have a perfect BBQ in our backyard so it feels a little bit more like home!
While BBQs aren’t exclusive to the Midwest, I like to think we do them best. We’re never short on lakes, laughter, corn hole, sunsets, drinks and food. So. Much. Food. (Have you see my post about my favorite Midwestern foods?!)
A perfect BBQ is an art, and lucky for you, I’ve got just the recipe! Here is everything you need to throw the perfect BBQ while you’re still at home.
Everything You Need for a Perfect Memorial Day BBQ
- Yard Games No BBQ is complete without a few yard games! My family (and pretty much every other family in the Midwest) is HUGE on Corn Hole. We play for hours on end, and get super competitive! Not a Corn Hole fan? Whip up a giant sized Kerplunk, grab some bottles for a ring toss, or go buy some yard dice. Whatever you choose, everyone will love that you brought along some entertainment.
- Music Speaking of entertainment, no good time is complete without music. You don’t need it crazy loud where no one can hear each other. Just a little music in the background to add to the laid back vibes of the party. (Try a Country playlist on Pandora or Spotify!)
- Meat Meat is the star of any backyard BBQ. Stick with classics for your first BBQ of the summer. Think Brats, Burgers, Hot Dogs and Kabobs.
- Side Dishes While the meat is the star, it’s the side dishes that make or break your BBQ. We ALWAYS have sweet corn. You can’t have a good cookout without it if you ask me! Plus it’s super simple to make. Soak it in salt water and then cook over the fire. Ugh. Now I’m craving sweet corn! Also, potato salad, pasta salad and baked beans (homemade, not from the can).
- Snacks Everyone loves snacks! Chips and salsa, hummus, guac, veggies and bar cheese are a few favorites that everyone loves.
- Desserts Mmmmm my favorite part of any BBQ is the dessert! My family always brings killer desserts. If you want to go out, there are hundreds of Red, White and Blue desserts out there. But I’m pretty sure everyone would love chocolate chip cookies too
- Alcohol Alcohol makes everything better. Head over to Pinterest to find some seriously amazing Patriotic drinks!
- Bonfire The best BBQs last all afternoon and into the night. Bring some blankets and fire wood and start up a bonfire.
- S’Mores and Hobo Pies And when you have a bonfire, you have to have s’mores and hobo pies! My family likes to make their hobo pies with pie filling and top them with frosting for a super sweet treat at the end of the night! We also like to use Keebler Fudge Stripe cookies for our s’mores instead of graham crackers. It’s life changing… your welcome.
- Red, White and Blue Do I even need to explain this one?
And what kind of post would this be without linking a few of my favorite MDW recipes?!
Sally’s Stupid Salad
Scroll down through the post to find this awesome recipe!
What are you doing this MDW?! Are you planning on staying home? Or are you lucky enough to get out and celebrate on a beach somewhere while #socialdistancing?!
Alright my loves! I’m off to spend some time with my family. I hope you all have the most wonderful weekend! I’ll be back on Tuesday 🙂