Hey Loves! Happy Tuesday 🙂 I’m writing to you from my cozy hammock in our backyard and it’s cool today with a breeze and I’ve got a big cuddly sweatshirt on and it feels like fall! I can’t wait for cider and donuts and crunchy leaves and cozy decor and Thanksgiving and Halloween and… okay I think you get the picture. But I’m not here to talk about Fall today. I’m here to talk about my newest struggle, Maskne.
While we’ve all hoped our summer would look picture perfect like this…
It’s looked a lot more like this…
And while I know that wearing a mask is keeping me and others safe, I literally hate hate hate hate hate the fact that it has brought out my newest skincare woe, Maskne.
In case you’re #blessed with amazing skin and have no clue what I’m talking about, let me enlighten you. Maskne is acne that is brought out from wearing a face mask all day. It’s caused by the friction/rubbing of your mask on your skin. Mix that with the (excuse this awful word) moist-ness (puking) of your breath, you’ve got a breeding ground for bacteria and dirt to enter your skin.
These breakouts happen where your face mask sits on your face. The first week I returned to work, I couldn’t believe the breakouts on my cheek bones and chin, two places I’ve never really gotten acne before. That Friday, when I came home from work, I sat down and ordered A BUNCH of skin care products to try to help treat this fun new addition to my oily skin issues.
So today, I’m sharing all the products that I have found work for me, and a few tips that have seemed to help keep the Maskne away!
- La Roche-Posay Effaclar. I originally bought this because it’s a French drugstore brand, and everyone know that french drugstore products have a cult following. I’m SO happy I tried this face wash! It’s the one face wash I’ve tried that actually helps my acne like Proactiv used to, but it’s MUCH better for my aging skin. It makes my face feel so clean every time I use it, and it’s oil, fragrance and paraben free. I highly recommend this product! $14.99
- The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution. The Ordinary is known for their super effect products, that are priced insanely low. Of all their amazing products, this is their most sold, best rated! It’s hard to get your hands on their Vampire Facial (my word, not theirs) because it really is amazing! It’s a powerful mask that stays on your face for only 10 minutes max, once a week. Every time I use this mask, I see immediate results. My skin looks less drab and is visibly brighter and softer. And for me, it really helps clear up any breakouts on my face. I give this product 4,000 stars, and will repurchase once my bottle eventually runs out! $7.20
- Olay Whip Moisturizer with SPF. It’s no secret that I love Olay moisturizers, but I especially love this one because even thought it contains SPF, it doesn’t feel greasy and is super light weight. It’s so important to wear sunscreen every day, but I find that sunscreen clogs my pores even without a mask. I feel like this is a win-win for my skin, and I don’t go a day without it! $38.99
- Tonymoly I’m Real Aloe Mask. I love this mask to help replenish my skin after a long week of wearing my mask all day at work. A few other affordable sheet masks I love? The Neutrogena Hydro Boost 100% Hydrogel Mask and the Garnier Moisture Bomb. $3.75 – $3.99
- The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution. I like this toner because it mildly exfoliates my skin. It’s the toner I’m using at the moment, and my maskne is under control, which is why I’m sharing it. However, I don’t know if I will be repurchasing it. It’s okay, but it’s not my favorite product. I’m still on the lookout for a toner I can’t live without! $8.70
- I Dew Care Disco Kitten. I love a good peel off face mask, and this one is one of my long time favorites! Not only does it have a fun name, but it makes my skin look so good! I like to use this as a treat for my skin once a week. Not only does it get all the gunk out of my pores, but it makes me look glowy. $23.00
- The Ordinary Serums. If there is one thing you buy off of this list, it needs to be these three serums. I truly believe that since I introduced these serums into my skincare routine, I’ve noticed the biggest change in my skin. They are like thin little moisturizers that you can layer to help with specific problems. Usually serums are $$$$$$$$ but The Ordinary sells highly quality, concentrated serums that work just as good (if not better) than those real expensive ones you can find. Right now, I’m using Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% (for my acne!) Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 (For acne and fine lines) and The Buffet (for anti aging). These are so good guys, and worth every single penny! $5.90 – $14.80
- Mighty Patch. I bought these because I was ~influenced~ and honestly, I’m so glad I was! With a quick click on Amazon Prime you can have magic delivered to your mailbox too. All you do is put them on at night, after you’ve finished your skin care routine and go to sleep. When you wake up, the patch is all white and your pimple is GONE. These are amazing and I’ve bought multiple boxes since I discovered them in March! $12.50
Now that you know what products I’m using to help fight my maskne, here are a few tips that I’ve found helped too!
- Don’t wear makeup! I felt so weird not wearing any makeup to work at first, but honestly, I think that is what made my first maskne breakout so bad in the first place. Foundations just help trap bacteria in your pores under your mask… and besides, people can’t really see much of your face anyways!
- Wash your face before you put your mask on, and after you take it off! The last thing I do before I leave my house is wash my face… and it’s also the first thing I do when I get home. Am I going through face wash a lot more these days? Yes. But at least I know I don’t have bacteria trapped under my mask, or in my pores!
- Wash your masks after every use. If you wear cotton masks like me, purchase enough so that you don’t have to wear them more than once. A clean mask is better for you skin… and your health!
- Up your skin care routine. This was the first thing I did when I started getting maskne. I believe that starting a solid skin care regime has helped me so much. Find a routine that works for you, and stick to it! Add in some serums and moisturizing products to help your skin feel nourished after being stuck inside a mask all day.
What are you doing to prevent maskne? And what products are working best from you?
Alright my loves… I’m off to wash my face, again 🙂 I hope these tips help those of you struggling with maskne like me! I’ll be back tomorrow for #WhatUpWednesday. I’ll talk to you then!